The Will to Get Back Up

Matt - Rocklin, California
Themes: change

I believe that no matter how hard someone is knocked down, they can always get back up.

When I was 15 years-old I was addicted to drugs and alcohol. Everyday I would light up a bowl, drink, or take some type of pills. My life was dark and lost; I did not know who I was or what I was going to do. Then one day my mom decided to pull me and a friend out of school early. Neither of us knew what was happening but in the back of our minds we knew they had found out what we had been doing behind their back. When we got to my house our moms slammed drug tests on the table and told us to take them. They came up positive. My mom found my stash and started crying and asked me; “Why would you do this? I give you all I can, I love you.” This burnt a deep hole in my mind.

I did not who I was hurting with this horrible act. I thought; “It’s my life, the only person that drugs can affect is me.” I then found out that I was very wrong, and I was hurting the person that I love the most. I quite, I quite everything. This left a hole in my life that those drugs where filling. I had to find something to make my life whole again. That summer my mom signed me up for a track club.

I had been pretty good at track already; in middle school I was runner up at Sections in shot put. In this track club the coach gave me this thing called a hammer and told me to spin it around a couple of times and give it a throw. I threw it and hit about 80 feet and he turned and said; “You are my new hammer thrower.” I practiced everyday, and I qualified for the National Championships. I went to Baltimore and got 11th place. I knew I could do better, I promised myself that next year I would be the one standing on that pedestal.

With this new determination I practiced longer and harder. I would practice in the pouring rain, I practiced in the scorching heat, and I even practiced when I did not have any equipment. Nothing was going to stop me from what I wanted. Later that year Nationals came around and I was throwing around 130 feet. This wasn’t quite good enough to get a medal so I knew I was going to have to get a good throw off. In the second round of prelims, I had already thrown a personal record, I got into the ring relaxed and ready for a big one, and I got it 153 feet and 7 inches. I won the silver medal.

Now I am a senior and awaiting scholarships from many Division I schools. This is why I believe that no matter how hard you get knocked down, there is always a way to get right back up.