a true friend

steven - rocklin, California

I Believe that everyone, no matter how old or who they are, needs a friend.

This belief started when I was 11 years old. I was taken away from my mother and sent to a foster home. It started when my mom was doing drugs and the police came to take me away. While I was in the foster home, I met someone there who made my life believe in this belief that I have.

His name is Alex Hamasaki and he was also taken from his parents a week before I came for the same reason. We both needed a friend really bad and so we became friends. We became friends very fast and we helped each other through this situation.

I was really depressed because I was taken from my parents at a really young age and I couldn’t handle being away from my mom for so long. It was very frightening for both me and Alex, but luckily we were there for each other. Every day we would hang out and not try to think of what happened to us. No matter what we did, we always were together playing games, eating, watching movies. We were the best of friends and I was really thankful that he was there. He was the person that really got me through this, not the staff there, but him. Whenever I would start to think about what had happened he would be there to cheer me up and say things like, “ its ok, don’t worry too much..” and stuff like that. He was a real life savor.

A few weeks later, my grandparents adopted me and Alex went live with some relatives in Nevada. Without him being there, I don’t know how I could have been so happy to be there.

Because of him, I learned the lesson that a friend can be someone who guides you through tough situations, someone to be there when you have a problem. A friend is someone you can count on to be there to help you wherever you are and whenever. It is someone to get you through situations like mine. A friend is someone that you need in life.

This is why I believe that no matter you age, social status, your background, you need someone to be there for you, a friend. They are there to be a buddy when your feeling down and blue. They are the ones that will stick it through to the end for you.

This, I believe.