More People Should Be Vegetarian

Mackenzie - Montgomery, Minnesota

I believe that more people should be vegetarian. It’s a healthy and nearly cruelty-free lifestyle that benefits both humans and animals.

Ever since I was in 4th grade, I wanted to be a vegetarian because I couldn’t stand the fact that an animal had to die just because I was hungry. I always thought that animals were equal to humans, that they had rights just as you and I do, so I thought why am I still participating in these cruel practices?

Each time I’d try to stop eating animal flesh, my mom would sabotage everything. She’d hide meat or meat products in our meals, such as chicken stock. She’d also add little bits of hamburger to spaghetti and pizza. You name it, my mom found a way to put meat or meat products in it. But in 10th grade, a light finally showed through a dark and heavy curtain, and my mom decided that I could make choices for myself. I became a vegetarian on November 27, 2008.

After succeeding with my wishes, I did more research and found that being a vegetarian also has many health benefits! I learned that just being a vegetarian helped drastically cut the risk of disease and cancer in half (maybe even more), and that only 2% of vegetarians and vegans are overweight or obese.

I believe more people should be vegetarian because of the healthy and nearly cruelty-free lifestyle the diet offers. You’ll live longer and be happier knowing that you’re not just benefiting yourself, but the animals involved in the meat industry.