Way of Life

Megan - Montgomeory, Minnesota

I believe in lifestyle, the way of life, the way a person lives their life. Better yet I believe in

farming as a way of life, a persons life. Farming to many is why that person gets up in the morning, what

that person strives for and when it is all taken away that person has nothing.

I have lived on a farm since the day I was born, my grandparents operating a hog farm and my

father following their footsteps. The farm I live on is a century farm, it’s been passed on from generation

to generation. A few years ago we were forced to take our barn down because of how unsafe it was, this

is where it all started.

With the economy the way it is it was becoming a loss instead of a profit to operate the farm,

my grandpa was devastated. Through out this last summer my grandma and grandpa made a decision

to sell the pigs to get what money out of them that they could. When this was all decided my grandpa

was for it because it’s all they could do. When all was taken from him he fell, and he fell hard. He was

taken from us and fell into depression. The grandpa I knew was not the same, he was there but

different. Not the same loving grandpa I knew. He grew up working and when there was no more work

he had no life. His lifestyle was gone, and he had nothing left.

This is the story of my life, the reason why I feel having your own personal way of life is so important. What you strive for and live for is so very important, most people don’t realize what they have is indeed there whole life until it is gone.