Intrementation: The True Inspiration

Kris - Mahopac, New York
Themes: creativity, work

I believe in the passion and strength of music. Music isn’t only something to listen to but also something you can create. Creating music allows you to have a basis of determination and dedication. Some people believe that music is just a sound that comes out of either a boom box, an ipod, or out of someone’s mouth. Others see music as an inspirational medium which promotes determination, responsibility, and passion.

I have been playing the violin for nine years. I played in my school orchestra as well as a local county orchestra. When I was first starting to play, I hated it. I told myself that it wasn’t worth my time. But as many parents do, they intervened and denied my request for quitting what would one day be my guilty pleasure. As I got older, I appreciated the instrument so much more, hearing the true beauty of strings serenaded by a bow.

Although I loved the sound of a well played violin, I wasn’t the best player. I always took my spot in the back of the second violin section and I guess I always accepted that I was a permanent fixture in the back of the orchestra. But all of this changed the last semester of my senior year. I found myself with a new found motivation to get first stand in the second violin section.

My mission began in early February after our first rehearsal. I dedicated every free second I had to practice. I would work every day to get the right intonation and timing. Sometimes my fingers would hurt because I practiced so much. I was determined to get that seat. This wasn’t just a seat to me; it was a goal of mine. That very seat symbolized that I could accomplish whatever I wanted to do, all I had to do was work hard for it. So about 2 months later, the day had come where the whole orchestra had to audition for their seating placement at our final concert.

My nerves were getting to me as one by one we made our way into the room to play what was the hardest music we have encountered. It was finally my turn. I walked in and got into position and then started playing the audition piece. As I played, I smiled to myself because I was so proud of how well I was doing, thinking that no matter what seat I get, I knew that I tried my best and that I was rocking my audition. As I left the room this weight was lifted off my shoulders and I felt a sensation of relief.

One week later we received our new seating assignments. Our instructor first went to the basses then the cellos, and the violas, and eventually the first violins, leaving the second violins as last. The wait was unbearable. As time elapsed and most of the orchestra was placed, the second violins waited for their assignments. As she said who sat at the first stand, I prayed that my name would be called. “First stand, Virginia Croft and Kris Pistillo…Congratulations.” At first, I smiled uncontrollably-a smile that lasted the whole rest of the day. When the instructor announced my name, I knew all my hard work and dedication paid off. It was the first moment in my life where I was truly proud of myself.

Music to me isn’t just something to simply listen to for enjoyment; it’s a symbol of my dedication and passion. I will always love the violin and always have it in my life. Music did more than just entertain me; it taught me that I can do whatever I want to do as long as I work hard at it. Music inspires love, passion, and motivation for my everyday life. Some people use music to motivate them in the gym, others use it to help them do their homework; for me music gave me determination to accomplish my goals, large or small. Music can inspire one to achieve greatness.