I Believe in No Limits

Charity - Baton Rouge, Louisiana

During moments when I lack confidence or feel as if a particular task is impossible, I often think of a scene from one of my favorite movies Coach Carter. In this particular scene a troubled young quotes the famous lines from the poem “Our Deepest Fears” by Marianne Williamson. The first stanza begins with, “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate/ Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure” (Williamson lines 1-2). I did not understand how success could evoke fear. These same puzzling words would soon have a tremendous effect on my life.

When I was a freshman in high school, I began running track. I trained extremely hard for the upcoming season. Weeks later the first meet had come and I was ready to compete. The competition was very stiff. Once the starting gun sounded we were off. The race was over before I knew it and I had won my very first event! I was excited about my accomplishment, but I also feared it. At the next few meets I would intentionally lose my races so that I would get 2nd or 3rd place. My coach noticed my regression immediately. He told me that I was holding back and not striving to be the best. I was frustrated and upset with my coach, but I realized he was absolutely right.

I feared being the best because I didn’t know if I could live up to the high expectations set by others. I believe God has given everyone a special talent and we should not run from it. Playing it safe or flying under the radar does not benefit the world. Embracing your talent and working to achieve your full potential can enlighten the world. Competing in track has taught me many things about myself and several life lessons. I can run from a lot of things, but I can’t run from my destiny. No one should settle for a life of mediocrity. There’s no limit to what we are capable of doing.