A Life Half Full

Anna - college station
Themes: gratitude

A Life Half Full

“Never compare yourself to others; always there will be lesser and greater than you.”

This quote is a simple reminder in my life to always be thankful for the things I have been blessed with. I believe that thankfulness is vital to leading a happy life, and can be attained through various ways in life.

Many times I find myself wanting things that I do not always need. Most of the time these things serve my satisfaction for a brief moment, but soon after I find I’m not content with it and desire something else. I have learned to always remember to be satisfied with the things I need, and not the things that the media is enticing me to want.

If I spend my time being upset with what I don’t have, then the things in life I do have mean nothing. The half full, half empty glass example relates to counting your blessings. There are two different ways, positive and negative, of doing that. I can choose to focus on what I do not have, or focus on what I have been blessed with and choose to be thankful.

I believe that it is important to be mindful of the simple things in life. Its only when I see someone less fortunate than me, that I realize my life is not so bad. After going on a mission trip to Costa Rica, my eyes were opened to a whole new world that I had never seen. I was shocked to see children running around with no shoes. However, they were so full of joy, not concerned that they no shoes. They were so cheerful, completely entertained playing a simple game of kickball in the street. Just like the Hausa proverb, “Give thanks for a little and you will find a lot.” They were happy with the little that they had.

It is important to take the bad with the good. Seeing past what might seem unfair is difficult, but doing so enables us to learn from those times and grow. It is not easy to find anything good through a negative experience, but striving to find some light in the darkness can bring comfort and peace.

I have realized that there are many different ways to be thankful. Being grateful makes life more full. Being more content with what I have has made me see life more clearly, especially through my experience in Costa Rica. I have realized that what I have is more than enough and I have been blessed with more than I deserve.

“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.”
– Melody Beattie