I Believe That a Smile Can Change a Persons Day.

Laura - Bay City, Michigan

Have you ever had that moment in your day when you’re not happy or you are not really in the mood for anything but there is that one person who smiles at you and says I hope you have a great day? At that very moment your day changes, you become so much happier and you start to see everything differently. There is an article in the Bay City Times called “Good Cheer Contagious” this article says that “A paper published in a British Medical Journal concludes that happiness is contagious- and that people pass on their good cheer even to total strangers.” The article also says that having happy friends increases your happiness by nine percent and having grumpy friends decreases it by seven percent. I am one of those people that love to make people smile. For example, when I am working and my manager is in a bad mood I look at her and start to sing the song “put a smile on, put a smile on, everyone come on, put a smile on” and right then and there I change my manager’s mood and she starts to laugh. I realize that when I am not nice to the customers that they will be rude and they will make my job worse. When I am working at McDonalds and I am handing out the food to the people I look right at them and I say “I hope you have a great day’’ or ‘’I hope you have a wonderful day and enjoy your food” and right when I say that some people look right at me and say “you too” now for some people I know they don’t mean it. But then there are some who look right at me and say “I hope you have a great day also.” Right there I see that when I said those few little words I changed that person’s day; you see it in their eyes. I also believe that smiling and laughing with the people you are working with can make them smile and realize that their bad mood puts everyone in a bad mood. When I look at one of the other employees and smile, they look at me and say “what” and I just smile and they start to laugh because they know that they are being moody. So you see that the smile changed the employs mood, so she started to smile back at the customer and then that one smile is passed on, and I hope that person passes it on to another. Then I hope that people will realize that if they can change a person’s day by just smiling that maybe they will smile at people more often. This is why I believe that a smile can change a person’s day. Smiling at the person will change their day, but it will also change you. So I ask you all to put a smile on and try to see the good in everything.