Cara - Pearl River, New York

This I believe: what you look like does not define who you are on the inside. Most of the time, a person is good looking, but does not have a good personality. People tend to get to know these people because they want good looking friends. Personally, I would rather have friends I like being with because of their actions and who they are, not what they look like.

I strongly dislike when people judge one another on their appearance, what their hair looks like, and what clothes they wear. It is wrong, especially because they won’t take the time to try to get the know the person. I have this friend, and her style is not perfect, but she is really nice and fun to be with. People automatically think she is weird because she is different. If someone is making fun of your friend, stand up for your friend and ask the jerks making fun of him or her, “Do you really know him? Or do you just know who he is and what he looks like?” Everyone is unique and should be a leader, not a follower. You were born an original; don’t die a copy.

Be yourself and do not care what other people think, say, or do because as long as you are happy, that should be good enough for you and everyone else, no matter who they are. Sometimes when I am shopping and picking out clothes, I think, “Will people think I am weird if I wear this to school?” but then I say, “Who cares? I like it so that is good enough for me.” Never be afraid to express yourself and do not be embarrassed of what you look like or what you are wearing. Always stand up for yourself. If someone says to you, “Oh my gosh, what the heck are you wearing?” Simply respond, “clothes” and walk away. Never put yourself down or compare your self to someone else, especially a famous person or a person in magazine. Chances are, what they look like is not who they really are. It is amazing what computers can do to pictures these days.

Never put someone else down, and always think, “How would I feel if that were me? Terrible, crushed, and idiotic.” Just because someone is not crying on the outside, or says “Make fun of me all you want, I do not care what you think,” does not mean they are seriously hurt on the inside. Being bullied is not only physically abusing, but also emotionally and mentally abusing. I feel that emotional bullying is the worst kind of bullying and can lead to serious mental problems and stress when you are an adult.

You do not have to be good looking to be a good person. What you look like does not define who you really are. Take the time to get to know somebody because you want to, not because you feel bad that they are ugly. Always stand up for a friend, or even an enemy because it is the right thing to do. People can not make fun of you for doing the right thing. I believe people make fun of others to relive their own problems and because they are jealous of something the person has. This is what I believe.