We Are Not Alone

Connie - Brooklyn, New York

I believe that we are not alone. Here on this earth we experience a myriad of challenges. Sometimes we are thrown into situations involving ourselves or loved ones which seem overwhelming. How do we face the diagnosis of cancer, the death of a love one, or the rejection by a family member who we have always loved? How do handle the longing to be understood and accepted for who we are?We may feel isolated, abadoned and lost. How do we go beyond our fears and break away from any of these circumstances?

A number of years ago I learned that I am not alone. St. Theresa says that we must never feel alone because the angels are always with us. These words became real to me one day as I was shopping at an outdoor produce market. In my haste to purchase some apples which were beyond my reach, I stepped forward and neglected to see the opened metal basement doors leading to the ground below. Unbenownst to me, twelve cement steps were before me as I stepped forward. Suddenly I realized that there was no ground beneath my feet; I turned myself around in an effort to find the sidewalk. As I called out “Oh my God, I’m falling,” I felt myself being lifted up. I did not touch any of the twelve steps. By some intervention,I landed on the basement dirt floor which was cushioned by opened cartons.

One of the workers heard me shouting for help. I automatically stood up; he helped me up the steps. Even though I had fallen down twelve cement steps, there was not even a rip in my stockings. When I went to the hospital, the Xrays indicated that there were no broken bones. I was bruied, but not broken.

Since that day no matter what challenge I may face in my life, I know that I am not alone. Perhaps St. Theresa was right when she said that the angels are always with us!