Pluto: Planet

Chris - Tucson, Arizona

I believe in Pluto. Not the dog, heaven’s no, the planet. Oh, excuse me; I had almost forgotten that Pluto isn’t a planet. Remember when you first heard that? Well, sorry it didn’t mean that much to you, but I can remember. It changed my whole world of thinking, pun intended. On a serious note, Pluto is now considered a big ball of nothing. So, let’s review a little, keep things slow. Pluto isn’t a planet, as was announced by some random committee. Well, let’s not use the word random, it’s more like a committee that no one knew existed. Regardless, Pluto got kicked out of the Planet Club, the Galaxy Gathering. Hell, let’s call it the Solar System Sorority. Ok, slowing down again. Pluto, once planet, changed to ball of nothing by a committee no one knew existed and possibly shouldn’t exist. I mean a committee dedicated solely to choosing whether a planet is a planet? Seriously, Taxpayers? Money well spent, a committee that changed common, “everybody knows that!” science, kindergarten science. In a real sense, not a word of that directly has anything to do with this paper. The most I can come up with is it is a specific example of a theme that some may derive from this paper, you know, when I’m famous. We don’t know anything, extreme emphasis on know. Guess work, hypothesis, theory are the words that make up our so-called facts, this I believe.

I’m not an advocate of intelligent design. Trains to Tangent-Land now boarding! right? Please bear with me and my extremely offensive belief. I find it utterly infuriating to think that so large a group of people, Catholics more than Christians, can claim worship to a book but then pick parts that are wrong, or politically incorrect, and decide not to follow them. Not to mention the masses of Christians who don’t know what the bible says! If you look at the bible as a whole, unfiltered and uninterpreted work it is almost a completely different book than what you hear in church. Whoa, sit down, Father, I’m not finished! Every year more and more things are “proven” wrong or right, discrediting the book scientifically. Every day people convert, or make their own choices into newound religions, exciting religions. Doesn’t matter. People still believe, people stay devout and they make their own decision. Who really cares in this case if I’m right or wrong, pursue your belief! Show others what you believe, but don’t necessarily force them to listen. Keep your mind open to their ideas without melting your own spine!

So we slow down again. I believe in God as a possibility, definately not the bible.

“But, Chris, Where does this connect to your thesis?”

I didn’t write a thesis, but this idea does connect to the main idea of this ranting. So evolution is my bread and butter. Claudia in the back found Jesus, Ned and Ted over there are still looking and Sean’s an atheist. What do they all share? Belief. I know! It sounds so much like sharing a belief, but it isn’t the same, in fact it’s almost the opposite.

All of these “This I Believe” essays are supposed to have some morally charged, get out there and be a winner meaning or announce a new idealistic world where everything’s happy, and outline how to get there. I guess mine fails on that note, but I do think you should take something out of reading this.

Really, I just wanted to tell you about my belief, not discourage you from ever having your own or pursuing knowledge. I love learning and I love science.

“So, what the hell was that all about?”

Encouragement. Keep believing.

Acceptance. Let others do their thing and encourage them.

Reason. Listen to others beliefs and keep an open mind.

TO be frank, I don’t care what you believe in, but I would sure love to hear about it. We can go grab a beer and watch the game at the local pub. Maybe you happen to think Pluto should still be a planet.

Twenty-One? Ha!

Well, my friend, I happen to believe in this fake I.D. and pray to whatever god that the bouncer does too.