I Believe in Doing Whatever Makes You Happy

Emily - North Pole, Alaska

Sitting here, thinking about what I believe in, I can not think of anything that really stands out to me. I am not a major vegetarian, but I do not like hunting or killing animals. I do not like war, and I want peace in the world, but I do not really do anything about it. Recycling is definitely something people should do, but I don’t do it all the time, and saying that I do would just be lying, another thing I am against. All I really believe in is that people should just do what makes them happy. As long as killing people or ruining the world is not what makes you happy, everyone should be happy.

Many people are very happy believing in their own beliefs, and being their own person. I think religious people should be happy believing in their own god, but not pushing their beliefs on someone that does not believe the same. Once, missionaries came to my house and wanted to convert my sister, who is not religious, into being a Mormon. She was being polite and said she was not interested right then, but maybe sometime in the future she would consider it. They took that as an “okay, no problem, come back tomorrow.” So they came back to talk to her, and my father told them my sister was not interested, that she was just being polite, and they called him a liar and said he was a bad example for his family. That is why I think people should not push their beliefs into other people’s faces, but just to believe in their own beliefs themselves.

I also think that people should do what makes them happy, no matter what people think of them. Acting is my passion, and in seventh grade I was trying out for the spring play, and extremely excited. However, I remember getting made fun of because plays were not “the cool thing to do” by other people’s standards. I almost did not want to try out, but then I realized that not doing something you love because others think it is stupid is stupidity itself. I realized that I am going to do plays, no matter what, and I became confident in them. Now that I do not care what other people think of me anymore, plays did become one of the cool things to do, maybe not to other people, but they definitely are amazing to me.

Being happy is one of the best things in the world and everyone deserves it. No one deserves to be made fun of, or persuaded by others to believe what others believe. Everyone deserves their own kind of happiness by not hurting people or hurting the world. So maybe, some people do not think of me as a good person because I do not go to church or I do not save the world, but I like to help out as much as I can, and make myself happy. I believe that whatever makes someone happy, and no matter what people think about it, they should do it. That is all I really believe in.