The Abilities of Nature

Brooke - Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Themes: nature, peace

I believe that nature has the ability to cause peace. A life experience that has made me come to this conclusion is when I found out that my great-grandmother had breast cancer. When my family found this information out, I was not old enough to understand what cancer was, and if there was even any differences to each type of cancer. I recently had a relative die from pancreatic cancer. So, when I realized how much my mother and grandmother were stressing out, and how much they feared that my great-grandmother would not make it through the chemotherapy.

My mother went to the Hilltop Arboretum, a nature preserve in my neighborhood. She did this to calm herself down and try to relax while observing the pond and giant trees that surround it. This is one place where I myself go to and have time to myself and think. Sitting out there with the open air, the birds chirping, and little frogs jumping out by the pond every now and then trying to catch a fly. Sitting in that one spot, all alone, a person has the ability to feel “free.”

Nature has no expectations of what you should or should not do. It is simply there. Nature is also something that a person will always be able to count on; it’s not going to intentionally run away. If the places that were once large open fields suddenly turn into big cities it is because people decided to take that away from themselves. Nature is a constant, cold weather in winter, hot in summer, warm in fall and spring. The one thing that people can count on is always having some place to go to sit and be alone and think of whatever they want to.

I go to this place to think whenever I have a problem that is going on in my life and try to find a way to relax myself so that I will not feel so stressed out. Stress in life is just something that will hold you back from what you want, and constrict your abilities to do everything to your full potential.

We need a place to go to in order to get away from the everyday problems that we encounter. Nature will always be there for us, and that is my place.