stephanie - houston, Texas

Can we really see beauty. Blind?

Beauty?… To me it is a word without sense because I do not know where its meaning comes from nor where it leads to. ~Pablo Picasso.

On November 25, 2008 I was blind for a Humanities project, the project was to go blind for a day to see what is beauty without actually seeing it. But like Pablo Picasso I had no idea what beauty truly meant, I always thought of it being an image of someone’s looks on the outside. It was just a word I never really thought about.

Since I didn’t know what beauty meant I really didn’t know what I was trying to find out, what I was trying to hear, or what I was trying to touch. If I didn’t know what beauty was how was I suppose to find out when I was blind? The moment I slid the blind fold on I was in the hands of my friends to guide me though the day.

To me beauty can be nature, beauty can be something you love, beauty can be something deeper than just looks. When I was blind I couldn’t see but I had all my other senses touch, smell, feel, taste and hear. It was beautiful when I would give my friends a hug because since I couldn’t see them it meant something deeper. Even if people were doing things to me because I was blind just to see my friends that were guiding me stop them. The day we were blind we had to finish watching wall-e and even if I’ve seen that movie before it was beautiful listening to the sounds and trying to figure out what part the movie was on.

This experience made me realize that you don’t need you eye site to see something. You can find other ways to see what beauty us all about. Beauty is everywhere you just have to search a little harder in order to find it.

Beauty lead me to many things it made me realize if you are blind that doesn’t necessarily mean that you cant see anything. You can feel, see, smell, and touch beauty.