Every Muslim Is A Terrorist

Kevin - Littleton, Colorado

“Every Muslim is a Terrorist.” This was a statement said by one of my friends while we were discussing the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centers. I asked him, “Why do you believe that every Muslim is a terrorist?” He told me, “Since their religion is based solely on violence; every Muslim is a potential terrorist.” Nothing had hurt me more than that statement. I believe his arrogant comments stem from the corruptive ideas of the media. They shove mindless nonsense of lies and hatred about the Islamic faith down his throat. His views blind him from understanding the true concept of Islam. Given, I am not a Muslim, but when he said that every Muslim was a terrorist, I couldn’t comprehend. I responded, “So if you saw a Muslim walking down the street with a turban or hijab on their head, you would automatically stereotype them as a terrorist?” His answer was immediately, “Yes, I would”. I went to my parents and talked to them about the same thing I did with my friend. I told them that, “I believe that Islam consists of the most peaceful and devout worshipers in the world, so why can’t other people believe that?” They said, “Because people’s stereotypes are like hot coals in a fire place; when something fuels them, they will burn for a long time. And it will be a while before the fire is completely burned out.” The stereotypes have taught me one thing about people; it is that their minds are open wounds that can become infected by hatred and ignorance.

Islam means peace. And the Muslims have kept that word sacred. Why don’t people realize that Muslims are peaceful? Why don’t people realize that Al Qaeda is a completely different group of Muslims filled with Islamic Extremists? Why do Americans believe that the Muslims should have to apologize for what Al Qaeda did, even though it wasn’t really the Muslims? When I figured out the answers to these questions, I finally came to believe that the American public is lost. I believe that it is not their fault, it is not the media’s fault, it is not the Muslim’s fault, and it is not anyone’s fault. I believe that it is people’s constantly thinking and wonderfully open minds that are to blame. I feel that even I have a consistency to stereotype others and not even know it. I believe that it will take a long time for the wound of terrorism to heal from people’s minds. But I also believe that I have to take the log out of my eye before trying to take the stick out of others. This I believe.