todays ignorance

MacKinley - houston, Texas

We’ve been studying beauty. What it looks like, what it ought to be, what we think it is, and how it can be different than just outward appearances. There are magazines in the grocery store so that we can keep up with all the beautiful people. They let us keep up with where they go, what they do, and what other beautiful people they are with. Right next to those magazines in the grocery store are other magazines that show us the ugly side of the beautiful people. And we realize some of them have bad hair days, some of them don’t look good without makeup, and some of them look just like the rest of us in bathing suits; and it makes you wonder if there really isn’t something more important we should be looking for and paying attention to. Is that what we refer to as inner beauty? We decided to spend a day not focusing on the external, the things we could see. What better way to accomplish this then by being blindfolded? We had lots of time to avoid focusing on the external as we made our way through our classes and around our school. It forced us to rely on others to help us get from one place to another.

The week before, everyone found a person that would take them to a class and pick them up from that class and take them to their next class. Everyone but me had the same person take them from class to class; but all my friends were blindfolded as well so I had a different person take me to every class, and some forgot about me; you could only imagine the stressfulness of that, disregarding the fact that I was also blindfolded.

The night before I decided to try walking around blindfolded to get a feel for how it was going to be. I cleaned my room, did some laundry, and fed all the animals. I thought the day was going to be so easy I had done everything the day before perfect with no problems. Now if everyone had been home and it wasn’t silent while I was doing it I might have had a better idea about what I was going to be up against the next day. But no one was home and I got up the next morning totally oblivious to the fact that what I did last night wasn’t even close to what I was about to face. Needless to say the whole day was harder then I would have ever imagined: I wrote papers, I did a science experiment, I tried to take a quiz, and I listened to a movie.

I believe that beauty has become underrated.

These days everyone focuses on what we look like on the outside. It’s rare to find a girl that doesn’t care about how much she weighs, what her hair looks like, and what other people think about her. I feel that I look for people that are more internally beautiful than externally; that it doesn’t matter what the person looks like if they’re nice and have a kind heart, that that’s all you need in a person. But, I still get up forty minutes early every morning and get ready for school; I take a shower, fix my hair, and put on makeup every weekday morning without fail. But on the weekend I hardly ever wear makeup and most of the time I go the whole weekend without taking a shower (gross, I know).

For a while I just thought everyone did that. Cared about the way they looked during the week and took a break from that stressfulness during the weekend. But as my friends changed I began to see that all of their routines don’t change from the weekdays to the weekends. It just didn’t make sense to me why they cared how they looked all the time.

But then it hit me, they do it because they want people to think their beautiful. Because they want to be on the cover of the magazine that talks about how beautiful they are, thats what they strive for. I think that people aren’t seeing the big picture of things. If you’re beautiful on the inside it radiates through and people are able to see that.

My question is why don’t people try listening to a movie? Most people’s responses to that would be but I can watch it that would be so stupid to not look at it when I can. Everyone should try it once, even if you watch it afterwards, you’re able to picture what is happening and what the place that they’re in looks like. I think the important parts of the movie to pay attention to would be the silent parts when no one is talking; the popular scenes when the two people who love each other finally kiss it’s always a silent beautiful moment and you can’t see it. The music though that they play and the giggles you hear afterwards, you can just imagine the smiles on their faces and the looks they’re giving each other. You can just picture the chemistry happening right there. With all that beauty, that you can easily just picture, who needs to watch it.

Now with all that beauty that you’re only picturing why do we focus so much on the way beauty looks, why do we think beauty is always physical, how come nobody ever focuses on the beautiful things in life we can’t see. We all need to focus on not seeing beauty and start imagining it. So we can all get forty minutes of our days back and spend it listening to a movie. Life’s about finding beauty in little things each and everyday not finding the beautiful people everyday. About making a vase out of string and being able to give it to someone who finds handmade natural things beautiful instead of sitting in art class and talking to beautiful people instead of making beautiful things.

This I believe Beauty is underrated.