Beauty

Stacy - Houston, Texas

Walking around school blindfolded is probably not one of the smartest things, I thought, while the permission slip was being handed to me. Skeptical about the project, yet still ecstatic, I wondered how I was supposed to notice beauty without being able to see. I also wondered what everyone else would think about what we were doing and what kind of responses I would get from it. All these questions made me question whether it was really worth it or not. But curiosity killed me and I needed to know what kind of day it would be like, so I agreed.

Going to school that day was very nerve wrecking. I came to school a bit early that day and sat down at the table where I usually sit at. My friends where already there and seemed to be more excited about this project than I was, of course none of them were participating in the frightening experience. Waiting for the bell to ring to put on my blindfold, as instructed, was horrible. My stomach was in knots and I felt like throwing up, as I always felt when I was nervous. When the bell finally did ring I looked around to see if the other people in my class were also starting to put their blindfolds on. Most of them were, so I hesitantly put mine on and asked one of my friends to walk me to my first class of the day.

Walking to that first class was terrible. I had art that day, lucky me it was upstairs and at the other side of the school. I never noticed how steep the stairs were till I tripped over them more than a few times. Constantly being pushed, tripped and poked I stumbled my way there. Being a bit late I apologized and clumsily found my seat. Not knowing what to do because I usually begin drawing the moment I get there, I just sat there. I could hear everyone around me engaged in their own conversations but really wasn’t paying attention to what everyone was saying. Suddenly it got sort of quiet and not as many people were talking. I felt weird; I could feel everyone staring at me, that uncomfortable feeling made me put my head down. I was like that for about two seconds when I felt someone stroking their hands against mine. I’m not used to people touching me so I didn’t know what to do; I just sat there, doing nothing. Finally a girl across the room yelled “Leave her alone!” I couldn’t recognize the voice therefore I didn’t know who it was until I realized I didn’t recognize the voice because the girl who had stood up for me hardly talked at all. I found that moment so beautiful because she didn’t like speaking too much but at that moment she stood up and spoke out for me and defended me. It made me feel good.

Walking to the next class was a bit easier because by then I figured out that my hearing was a lot more useful than anything else. I had humanities and was excited as to what we were to do in Mr. Owens’s class, since he was the very reason we were doing the project. We were having a brief discussion about how our day was going so far and, as usual, I say nothing because I like to keep to myself most of the time. For the rest of the class we watched the movie “Wall-e” while still blind. I had already watched this movie so I wasn’t as upset as many of the others were. The combination of the music and the sounds from the movie was very calming and it kind of put me in a trance in which I was relaxed. I liked this point of my day because although I couldn’t see I enjoyed the movie more than I did the first time when I was just concentrating on the images.

For my next class I had to take my blindfold off to take a test. I gladly took it off but wanted to put it back on when my eyes started to hurt. When I finished my test I heard many people saying that being blindfolded for a day was a really dumb idea. I was angered at hearing this because they didn’t know the reason behind it and weren’t as open to the idea. Although I wished I had said something, I didn’t and just moved on.

During lunch I didn’t even think of getting food because I knew that the cafeteria was extremely full most of the time and I didn’t want to be tripping over people. My friends and I sit outside in the courtyard on this big square that is assembled by bricks stacked together. That’s were I sat for about an hour. It wasn’t as boring as you might think because I did have company and talking to them wasn’t as hard without eye contact. But as I was sitting there for that really long period of time I had my hands on the bricks the whole time. I could feel every indent, whole, crack, and chip that brick had. I never thought I would pay that much attention to something I sit on everyday and never stop to notice. I found every imperfection that brick had, beautiful.

I used to think of beauty as something that looks pretty and has no flaws. Something that is so perfect nothing else could be like it and that’s why it was called beautiful. I now know that beauty can be defined in many ways and is not just on how something looks. My day of blindness taught me that. I went into this project not knowing how to look for beauty without seeing and without even noticing I found beauty in moments and in places that aren’t normally seen as beautiful.

I used to believe beauty was based only upon looks. I now believe beauty can be anything you want it to be as long as it satisfies you, you just have to have an open mind and let your mind see what you REALLY believe is beautiful.