My philosophy in life

Jessica - brussels, Belgium

“When life brings you down, music helps you get back up again.”

My dad says that continuously, that is his philosophy in life. When life is tough and there is no one you feel you can go to, music is always there to ease your life.

After living in the United States my entire life, I moved to Belgium; I hated it and I had a hard time figuring out where I fit in. I felt that I could not talk to parents or my siblings, so all I had was my i-Pod.

When I found out that I was going to an international school, I felt relieved. I knew that everyone would speak English instead of Dutch or French. My First day of school was awful! I got lost on campus, no one talked to me because I was the new kid, and I had over 2 hours of make-up work to do. I hated my new school, I wanted to go back home. For the next three weeks of school, my only friend was my i-Pod. I had different songs, artists, and genres for different emotions, and thoughts.

The message I got out of this experience is that there is music out there for everyone; there is an artist and a genre for everyone. Personally, I like rap because within one song many emotions are expressed; and there is always an emotion I can relate to. One rapper that I can always relate to is Jay-Z because he always seems to target everything I feel with every song. I also like techno because it’s a great escape from the world. Techno music is loud and the beats are usually so powerful that it becomes impossible to listen to the outside world. I listen to techno when I want to drown myself in my thoughts and exclude the world.

Music has helped me and continues to help me every day.

“When life brings you down, music helps you get back up again”. That is my father’s philosophy in life, and mine too.