True Endurance

William - Fairbanks, Alaska

I believe in true endurance. This is a belief that I’ve come to realize through out my adolescent years. The reason why I believe in true endurance is because it can apply to anything in life. No matter the situation true endurance is inevitable. I am an African American high school student and it seems like its always something to take my focus off my goals, despite the level of importance. The major distraction is my race. Now I know everyone understands that I write about my race a lot , but until you’ve seen it through my eyes, the things that I have to go through on a daily basis dealing with the people at school, work, and society, you’ll never understand. I have people that I work with talk to me as if I were simple minded and will try to insult me and my race through complex sentences, that they think I don’t understand. Though this happens frequently and from many other people, I’m quick to remind them that I’m an intelligent black person. But its so hard to stay proud of my race and my background when you have a constant reminder of prejudice. To stay a believer is very difficult when your surrounded by unbelievers. And this can be a belief in general. This is when true endurance will play its part, is when you can emerge from your adversity successful.

This all became real to me when I was in middle school. Up until this point I was a fairly good student. I always had good grades and I was never a problem. But I had this one teacher who would be outright disrespectful to me and I despised his very name. I noticed that he was giving me a failing grade and I thought that was peculiar, due to the fact that the rest of my grades were all A’s and one B. I asked him why I was receiving this grade. His reply scared me for life. He said,” Bruce I don’t like you at all because you think you’re better than everyone else, that’s what’s wrong with you black folks… you’ll never be nothing”. I was vexed and it scorned any sensitivity I had towards anything. I told my parents and their feelings matched mines. Then I remember my father telling me,” Brucie, people are not going to like you just because of your skin color and this is just the beginning”. I wished he was wrong, but he wasn’t. I went back to that same teacher with a sense of confidence and told him I will be someone and I don’t need his help to get me there because I can do bad on my own. What I mean by that is I don’t need anyone’s help to be unsuccessful.

After I said my peace it was a release for me and it equipped me for the future. And because of true endurance I was able to pass his class with an A and I gained a new level of self respect. Until this day I don’t hold nothing against that teacher and I have no hard feelings toward him. I’m free of any internal turmoil. This I believe, that once you can truly endure a situation and come out with your dignity, then you’re a phenomenal person, no matter what race. That’s why I fell I must bring my race into each personal paper because that’s as personal as it gets. That’s what I see everyday, when I look in the mirror and what I deal with as well. True endurance has helped me encourage myself when the world tells me I can’t . I can tell myself, I can!

This I Believe.