Life is Short

Irene - Santee, California
Themes: carpe diem

There was a man named Tom, he was a brother, father, son, coach, and friend to many people who knew him. Tom Logan was a baseball coach for the Santee Hornets. This was the way in which I met him. Tom was a baseball coach for the Santee Hornets. He loved coaching his son’s baseball team and he did a good job doing it. On December 5, 2008 we arrived at the Travelodge Hotel at 10 p.m. in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. We walked into the lobby to see Tom Logan and Scott Strong greeting us. We walked in, checked in and headed to our room. The next day we woke up ready to go to our first games of the tournament and we all greeted each other and headed to our games. That night we all hung out in the lobby and said our goodnights before we headed to our room.

On Sunday, December 7, 2008, Tom’s team was playing the play-off games and he was coaching. At some point during the game, he collapsed on the field and had to be taken to the hospital. At the hospital where he was taken in Arizona, they could not give him the attention and care that he need so they had to life-flight him to a hospital in Las Vegas due to a medical emergency. The next day he had to have a surgery performed on him and he did not make it through the surgery and passed away.

When I found out about the news and I heard this quote, “Learn as if you were to live forever; Live as if you were to die tomorrow”, I thought that they both have a connection. Before Tom’s incident on the baseball field, he was doing what he liked to do, coaching his son’s baseball team and being there for his son as well. He didn’t know what was going to happen to him and he was having a good time doing what he does. He spent his last few days with his family on what we like to call the “Big Hornets Family Vacation” in Lake Havasu. Tom was living his life to the fullest, enjoying the company of all of his family and friends.

There are so many events that take place in our life that can change our lives forever. One really needs to concentrate on what is important and not let the worthless little incidents get in the way of the big picture. There are people who have bad experiences or a bad day and they let that bother them and get in the way of living life and enjoying the good things. There is no reason why people should have a bad day because one never knows when they will have another good day. Everyday that we live is a blessing and we should remember that tomorrow is never a promise. I believe that people should end everyday on a good note and with a smile on their face. Nothing should stop anyone from accomplishing any goal. We have bad days and experiences for a reason, we need to learn from them because even though it is a bad experience we don’t know what will be the last thing that we learn.

If I were to know that tomorrow was my last day to live, I would spend the day with all of my family and friends whom I care for and love the most. I would talk to them and tell them how much they mean to me and how they have changed my life. I would try to experience life in ways that I hadn’t experienced it before. I believe that we were all put on earth for a purpose and whether we know that purpose or not we should live life as if tomorrow may never come and learn as if we were to live forever.