Ray - Naugatuck, Connecticut

This I Belive

The weather outside is certainly frightful. The first snow has already fell, and as I drive down the street I cannot help but notice the spectacle of lights that garnish the modest homes of middle class America. Oh yes, it is Christmas time, the most wonderful time of the year, right? I mean it is at this time, if not any other time of year where we can be have peace on earth and show love and compassion for our fallow man. Don’t believe me? I’m not surprised; you don’t have to look very hard to see the despicable behavior that encompasses the holiday season. The one event that to me that symbolizes the courpotion of Christmas is the trampling of a Wal-Mart employee as he unlocked the doors early on “Black Friday”. The crowd was so frenzied to get inside and have the opportunity to purchase this year’s hottest item at a discounted price that before the poor man could get the doors open he was knocked to the ground and trampled to death by hundreds of shoppers.

It is sad that the morality of Christmas has dissolved from a time of rejoice and celebration, to a season of stress and materialism. However I would not place the blame on Christmas, but instead on our society. Every day of our lives we are exposed to mass media that constantly force feed us vain values of materialism and defines success and happiness in terms money. I guess that is one of the drawbacks from living in a capitalistic society run by large corporations whose sole purpose for existence is extracting as much money from people as they possibly can.

I believe in people. I believe that it is a person’s character that defines them, not what shoes they wear or what car they drive. I believe that the less people connect their happiness with materials the happier they will ultimately be.