My Rocks

Casey - Cypress, Texas

I believe in the strength and unwavering love of family.

Ever since my parents got divorced shortly before I turned four, I have leaned heavily against my mom. Tirelessly and without fail she has been there for me through the good and the bad. When my PawPaw died unexpectedly, she never left my side through both the funeral and the reception afterward. Despite her grieving, she knew how close my PawPaw and I were and helped me through it, telling me it was going to be okay and showering me with love and comfort. Without her I would have completely fallen apart, not knowing what to do or how to feel. Her strength and love has guided my through the toughest times of my life, always being there for me. So after she became pregnant with my half brother, Cody, I felt betrayed by her. I believed having another child would take her away from me and lessen her love for me, maybe even halt it. However, it didn’t happen like that, if anything it made her love for me stronger, despite my juvenile resentment. For months after Cody was born a combination of my hurt and pride kept me from speaking to her and barely even looking at her. Nevertheless, her feelings towards me never changed and I soon began to regret my immaturity in ignoring her. She still loved me with her whole being and even to this day never stops reaching out to me.

Family is not only limited to blood relatives, however. Another that helped me while I was spiraling into a depression was one of my best friends, Courtney. I had just moved to a new school, my mom was pregnant, and I was freaking out. Courtney was my rock; I practically lived with her for half of my eighth grade year because I never wanted to be at home. She was the one who kept me grounded, always being there for me no matter the time or situation. She would sympathize with me when I needed, but she would tell me the truth even when it hurt. To this very day I thank her for being there and I am constantly telling her I don’t know where I would be without her. Her unfaltering devotion and loyalty got me to where I am today.

I believe in the strength and unwavering love of family. All my life my family has been there for me even when I push them away. Their love for me has given me the strength I have today and will carry through my life in the future. Without them, there would be no me.