Confident In My Belief

Michael - Manlius, New York

I believe that with confidence one can overcome all the challenges presented in life.

Knowing that you can do something is the first and most important step towards doing whatever you want. With confidence things become easier. I know you’ve heard that before but think about it. Name one thing you did well without confidence. I know I can’t. I don’t think you can either. Because when you do something without confidence, you loose a little bit of the effort that you would put into something if you knew you could succeed. And that little bit effort, is the difference between success and failure. Everyone’s heard the story about Michael Jordan getting cut from his basketball team. How the greatest player of all time got cut from his high school team. But if you ask any player or coach, many say that Jordan was the most confident, cocky, player ever to touch a basketball. He constantly wanted the ball and when the game got close, you could guarantee that the ball was going to go to Michael, just because he knew he could make it. It was Jordan’s confidence that was the key to his success, along with his incredible amount of talent.

And there was time I went water skiing at my uncle’s camp. It was about two years ago and my cousin decided to take us all water skiing. I sat and watched my cousin and brother both get up and stay up easily. It was my turn. I didn’t think it looked that hard, all you had to do was bend you knees and let the boat pull you. I felt really confident that I could get up. And I got up first try; a rare moment for me.

A year later we went back. And it was my turn to ski. Just ten minutes before I had watched my little brother fail trying to get up before finally succeeding. And I was nervous. I felt that if he failed that badly there was no way I could get up on my first try. Something in me was saying that the first time was just a fluke and there was no way I was getting up again. I had no confidence. So the boat started and I fell right into the water. And I tried again, same result. By then any confidence I had was gone. But I did get up. Eventually. Looking back I realize that confidence was the difference between first time success and second time failure.

Confidence isn’t always easy. In fact it’s never easy. It’s much easier to say, “I can’t do this” and not try. But with confidence comes success. After all, we never heard about the little train that thought he couldn’t.