jordan - southington, Connecticut
Themes: change, sports

What I believe is that joining my high school swim team has changed my life. There are many reasons that the swim team has changed my life. I’ll start with my freshmen and sophomore year of high school. I was a very quiet kid had a couple good friends but that was it. I did freshmen football but I quit after that year wasn’t very good at it, but I did play lacrosse which I was pretty good at had a chance of making varsity my sophomore year but didn’t. The team were friends but I didn’t really hang out with any of them, had a couple issues with one or two of them also, I really just played to play the sport.

It was my junior year I decided to join the swim team to help with my stamina for lacrosse; little did I know that I would love swimming more than anything I have before. First practice came around I was really out of shape, but since I swam before I was able to go into one of the upper lanes. I was really shy at first really didn’t talk to anybody in the locker room and was pretty quiet in my lane. First meet comes around, I’m placed in one event and it’s the last one the 400 relay. I was put as the anchor, which is the last person to go, and we were in first. I held the lead for the first 50 and on my flip-turn for the second 50 I swallowed a lot of water, I lost the race for us. As you can imagine I was angry and upset with myself, but I noticed that my relay team was a little disappointed but not mad at me, and they just said to me there will b other races. I was very shocked by this because naturally I am a competitive person and hate losing, but they showed me that winning isn’t everything. I ended up going to a state meet for a relay and getting third in our heat.

After that meet I started to become more outgoing and gaining a lot of friends. I made great friendships on the team and had the best time I ever had even if we lost. Didn’t do well in lacrosse that year but I didn’t care about lacrosse anymore because we weren’t a team we were just a bunch of people playing lacrosse unlike the swim team where everyone were friends.

My senior year came around my last year of high school and swimming. I dropped 15 seconds on my 100 butterfly time from junior year and became the number one butterflyer on the team, and dropped 2 seconds to become the number one 50 freestyler. Even though I wasn’t made captain because I have only swum for 1 year before, the underclassmen looked up to me as the captain. This event also changed my life because it helped me learn a leadership role and also helped me obtain a job later that year.

I believe the SHS swim team has changed my life; it helped me become a better person, made me more outgoing, showed me to not take so many things seriously, and helped me make some of the greatest friendships I’ve ever had.