I Believe in Lyrics

Jordan - Mt. Sidney, Virginia

With every song comes a memory of your life or a story passed on through generations. I believe that every song holds a memory that tells your life story. One that sticks out in my mind is when my mom told me about money when I was fourteen. Everyone thinks that money buys happiness but I am here to tell you that isn’t true. My grandfather Joe, worked hard his whole life to acquire the “American Dream.” He sacrificed his marriage and his relationship with his kids to have the finer things. This story makes me think of the song American Dream by Casting Crowns. This song talks about a father who works all the time and puts off spending time with his son and wife, he is building a castle on sand that will be easily destroyed. When I hear this the lyrics that stand out to me are in the last stanza.

”I’ll take a shack on a rock over a castle in the sand, now he works all day and cries alone at night, it’s not getting any better, look like he’s running out of time. ‘Cause he worked and he built with his own two hands and he poured all he had in a castle made with sand, but the wind and the rain are coming crashing in, time will tell just how long his kingdom stands…all they really wanted was you.”

Another memory that has a song is when we went on our mission trip this past summer. I met 100 different people from all over the country, all trying to achieve the same thing. That alone is amazing. What I cherish even more are the friendships that were made. One night is vivid in my mind when everyone bonded. It was a Thursday night and everyone had picked up a rock earlier that day and brought it to the service that evening. We were then told that this rock represented our sins and if we felt the need to, we could go up to the cross, pray, and then cast out sin from us so we could be forgiven. The intensity of this moment can’t be captured in words but in the lyrics of East to West by Casting Crowns.

“I know you’ve cast my sin as far as the east is from the west, and I stand before you now as though I’ve never sinned. But today I feel like I’m just one mistake away, from you leaving me this way. Jesus, can you show me just how far the east is from the west? ’Cause I can’t bear to see the man I’ve been rising up in me again. In the arms of your mercy I find rest, you know just how far the east is from the west, from one scarred hand to the other.”

If you have ever seen the sight of 100 teenagers kneeling at the cross, crying over what was sacrificed for them; you can’t help but feel touched. The moments that were shared after this event are enough to last me a lifetime. The mission trip created friends that I will never forget whether I ever see them again or not because what we shared that one week in South Carolina was special.

When I was riding in the car with my dad and we were coming home from a horse show. It was late at night and we were both tired but we turned up the music and sang along. I thought as we did this how grateful I was to be able to spend some time with him alone. As we rode down the rode we listened to the Oak Ridge Boys and I thought of all the fond memories we have together revolving around this band. We would play music on our stereo and dance around our living room, twirling and spinning to the beat, when I was 6 and 7 years old. Those times have since past but I still remember us taking the time to enjoy everything around us. As I thought of all these forgotten memories I thought of how the lyrics to the song tied in perfectly to how I was feeling. These lyrics were to the song Dream On by the Oak Ridge Boys.

“Lay your head down on my shoulder. I won’t let the night get colder. I’ll protect you; I’ll be keepin’ trouble far from where you’re sleeping. Until you wake in the mornin’ you’ve got the world to yourself. Dream on, dream about the world we’re gonna live in one fine day. Dream on, spent the night in heaven I’ll be here to light your way. Some day tomorrow we’ll smile, but little girl in the meanwhile, dream on.”

My dad has and always will love me even though sometimes we argue. He is my protector and only wants the best for me. Even though sometimes it feels like he is expecting too much, I know he just wants me to be able to experience everything I could possibly want to do.

With every song there comes a memory, and whether it is happy or sad, it always make you stop and remember what has long since past.