Everyday is a gift

Katie - kalamazoo, Michigan

This I Believe…

I believe that everyday is a gift. Everyday is a new day that will be different from any other day that you have had or that you will experience, if given that gift. You will learn new things, go through new experiences and feel something you might never felt before. People’s lives and the way people live their lives can change in a second. I heard people say that before but I can honestly say my whole life and the way I live it changed in a split second.

I woke up the morning of July 7th, six days before my 19th birthday, in a horrible mood. I hadn’t gotten very much sleep the night before and the last thing I wanted to do was drive 45 minutes and work an eight hour day. Having no other choice I got up and ready for the day. My mom being such the sweet lady that she is tried to cheer me up but all I did was take my bad mood out on her. I left the house that morning without saying I Love You to her and from that day I make sure everyday she knows how much I love her.

There I was driving to work in our old 95’ Nissan Altima. I reached my hand down and tilted my head to change the radio station. At that moment I hit the gravel on the side of the road, which spun my car out of control. Scared out of my mind I tried to straighten to wheel and slam on my breaks but it was too late. The sound of the screeching tires and loud noises coming from my car will haunt my forever. I was swerving in and out of both and ended up on the opposite side of the road flying into the ditch. Luckily there was no on coming traffic that I could have easily hit. When the front of my car went into the ditch I immediately thought I that was it for me. I remembering the thought that this is it, I am going to die. If anyone else has ever had that feeling and those thoughts you know that it is terrifying. The air bags went off and I was knocked unconscious for what I think was about six seconds. I opened my eyes and the car was still rolling. I was in a cornfield about ¾ of a mile down. My body went into shock but I was conscious enough to know I was alive and okay. As the car stopped I searched for my cell phone in order to call for help. I had no service. The feelings and emotions I was going through at this time are unexplainable. At one second I thought that my life was ending and another I thought wow I am alive.

I walked through the cornfield up to the street with mud up to my knees. There was a thunderstorm the night before, one of the reasons why I couldn’t get to sleep. Shaking and crying I was on the side of the road sitting on my knees trying to wave for help. No one stopped. Cars kept going by, people looking out their window at me like I was a crazy person. No one could see my car since it was out in the cornfield covered in stalks and probably didn’t know what was going on. But to see a person on the side of the road covered in mud and scratches from the accident and not to stop, what kind of person are you. After a few minutes a man on his way to work stopped and ran out of his car towards. He was a sincerely sweet man and tried to calm me down to see if I was okay. All I kept repeating to him was you are an angel; you are my angel, no one else stopped but you. I was so grateful for what he had done. I was a complete stranger and he stopped for me to help in any way that he could.

He called the police and notified them that an accident had just occurred. He took care of getting the police; ambulance and tow truck there while I was frantically calling my mom. I told her what had happened, that I was okay and just needed her to come and be with me. I sat in the front passenger seat of my mom’s car with so many thoughts running through my head. After completing the police report I was free to go. With only minor scratches and bruises I had my mom drive me home, to be at a place where I felt completely safe.

That day is a day I will never forget and that man who stopped is someone who I think of often always reminding myself to be kind to others. It was life changing for me and I have lived my life differently from that day. The way I think about things, what I believe in and how I treat others changed all for the better. I called all my loved ones and told them how much they mean to me and how important they are to have them in my life.

I believe that everyday is a gift, a gift that you should never take for granted. I believe you should live everyday like it is your last. Tell the people you love you love them because you might not get another chance to. Be kind to strangers, you don’t know the life they live and what they are going through. A kind smile and a simple hello can brighten a person’s day. There is no good in holding grudging and staying angry with someone. It’s only going to make you more of a bitter person and not a loving, caring person that you can be. Life is too short to be unhappy. It shouldn’t have to take something tragic to happen in order to change your life and realize many things that I have. Everyday is a new day. Life is never going to go the way you exactly planned it and its not suppose to. We cannot tell the future or change the past; all we can do is live in the present. So go live your life and be the person you want to be. You never know when you’re not going to receive the gift of another day.