I Believe in Agnosticism

Morgan - Fort Defiance, Virginia

I believe in agnosticism. I believe that there could be something, or someone out there, I’m just not sure what. I know that someone or something had to create this earth and everything inside of it, but who? I can’t make myself believe that there is something out there, if I have no proof there is. For example the dinosaurs; we have artifacts and fossils to know that they were here. All that we have for god or even Jesus to explain their existence is the fact that they are written about in a book by twelve other people. How do we know that the Bible and the stories that are in it weren’t just novels written by some famous writer of the time, or a collection of works by that same author?

People read the Bible and believe everything out of it only because it’s called “the Bible” and because the preacher teaches it. Whoever typed the Bible could have put in something false and we would still read it and believe it. Also when we say everyone is a sinner, and we ask for forgiveness, then why is it called sinning? Why do we make a big deal about sinning if everyone does it and they know that they can be forgiven? Why do we have the Ten Commandments; some don’t obey them and they still get forgiven. How do know if you have been forgiven. It’s basically all in your head. You say his name and ask, “God will you forgive me?’’; but you’re really only asking yourself, you can accept it or not. People say you just have to believe; you can believe all you want but you still don’t know if it’s true.

The day that I realized I didn’t believe everything about the Bible and God, I realized how much time I had wasted thinking I did. I would go to church; I joined my youth group and played church softball only because I wanted to be a “Christian”. My aunt Amy married a guy that has spent his whole life going to church was raised to believe in God and would never think about sinning. He would always preach to me about tattoos, piercings, drugs and alcohol and why they were considered bad. He wanted me to know that if God wanted me to have a hole in my body or ink on my skin he would have put that there. Why is it so bad? If it is a sin, won’t God forgive you? It made me so mad to see people coming to church with tattoos and piercings and everyone would look down on them because of it; it doesn’t mean anything. Also most everyone that go to Church are hypocrites; as soon as they walk out the front doors of church they don’t bother about thinking about god or religion, they just want to make it seem like they are sacred people. I don’t want to be that person, I want to believe what I want and if it changes it changes; only hopefully for the better.