I Believe in a Double Standard

Luke - Staunton, Virginia

I believe in political incorrectness. Racism and stereotypes are unfortunate truths. The idea that a Jew is stingy, a Chinese immigrant can’t pronounce an “L,” or even that an African-American is going to rob a store. We arrive at these results based on previous experiences, and even statistics. Why is it that it would be offensive to call a black person the dreaded “N” word, when they refer to each other in these manners without even thinking about it? If a woman is offended by the term slut or whore, why don’t they bring it up with the writers of rap songs? Why do they allow these things to be written and then sung about their sex, especially all those feminists that claim that a woman can do everything that a man can do? If a woman can do everything, then why do they get extremely upset when a man doesn’t act chivalrously towards them? Why should a man act any differently towards a woman who wants to be “one of the guys” than he does towards one of the guys? The real problem with modern day America is that we worry about political correctness, and don’t say what we truly think.

A benefit of political incorrectness becomes a person’s ability to speak their minds. We may believe in one thing, but say something completely different. What kind of world would we have if everyone just said what they thought? Our thoughts have been driven down into this major idea that that everyone is equal and that everyone is really good deep down in their hearts. What would happen if I, a middle-class white natural born American, and called a Vietnamese immigrant a “gook?” how many people would be offended by that statement?

Personally, I know a teenager of Asian decent that loves every single joke that is considered racist towards his heritage. He laughs at them, and even writes them down so he can remember them. Then, out of the blue one day someone overheard me commenting on his Asian heritage while at my job, as he had asked me to, and sent me to the administrators and almost got me fired, because they were offended for him. He had to testify to my boss and defend me because he found the jokes amusing and was not offended in the least. I then had to compose a written apology for him and his family, whom I had not been formally introduced to, to literally beg for their forgiveness, when they had no idea what it was for.

In the end, how could we have handled that situation? Well, telling racist jokes at work, though it can be amusing, is probably not the best place for them. This I realize, but I acted anyway, and I accept that I am responsible for my actions. This also causes me to propose the question why? Why am I supposed to know, better than him, what is right and what is wrong? If he enjoys the jokes, why should I not tell them to him? Why is it considered wrong to believe one way or the other? There is an amendment that protects me, and frankly it protects any citizen in the United States. It happens to be the First amendment for a reason, because it was the most important thing that the writers of our Constitution believed. The right to freedom of speech and the press is what protects whatever we say, be it right or wrong. America may have been founded on the ideals that we are free from religious prosecution and such, but verbal prosecution is how many people choose to vent themselves, and why should they be penalized when those we choose to listen to on the radio and those that we choose to buy C.D.’s and cassettes of can say what ever they want? Why are they not penalized for their racism, their “speaking against the Man,” or their generally anarchist verses? All in all, I think that there is something wrong with a country where the citizens must watch what they say, but those that happen to be rich and/or famous can say whatever they feel.