Unexpected Places

Kali - Tacoma, Washington
Themes: love

I believe in love. I believe love can be found in unexpected places, when you’re not looking; you run right into it. Eight years ago I took the greatest risk of my life. I took a chance on love; only I didn’t know it then. I was waiting for the bus to Seattle, minding my own business, when this scruffy dirty man asked me where the closest store was. I wasn’t rude; I just didn’t want to encourage conversations with him, so I shook my head no and said sorry. As I turned to walk away a thought came to mind, Don’t judge a book by its cover, so I turned back to tell him the only stores we’re close to is the mall; then I sat down to wait for my bus. He said he was a little lost; he had just gotten off of work and fell asleep on the bus, and when the driver woke him he was here at the end of the line in Federal Way. Arlon was his name. I never noticed this mans eyes until we were seated on the bus; they were so beautiful and kind, that I was stunned when I looked into them. This man that I assumed to be just another bum or junkie wasn’t that at all. He was intelligent, funny and kind; we talked the entire ride to Seattle, which is only about forty-five minutes. I was surprised that he got off at my stop just to ask me to go to the movies with him. We exchanged numbers and went our separate ways. Our conversations on the phone would last all night into the early morning; we talked about everything: travel, religion, relationships, money, kids, his past, my past and what we wanted for the future. It took a little over two weeks to get to our first date; and we never did go to the movies. Instead we went to dinner and rode the bus all over Seattle all night until morning; just talking and laughing. We had so much fun falling in love all thru the years. Arlon died recently, but I still believe in love. As I think back I’m glad that I decided to look past appearances, because what was given to me in return was a beautiful daughter named Destiny and what I’ll always believe in Love.