World Peace- Peace Between Nations

Patrick - Arlington,, Virginia
Themes: peace

This I believe. I believe in Peace between Nations. In my previous years of life, I had to live in two foreign countries, due to having parents in the Foreign Service. The first country I had to live in was Serbia of ex-Yugoslavia. I was only an infant when I lived there, but I then learned when I got older that there was a war between Serbia and all of its neighbors, which were part of a Nation called Yugoslavia. Coincidentally, I lived right next door to the President’s House who started the war between the nations. When all of the countries broke up and became independent, anger was between them all: I had a hard time understanding it, and I even thought that all the countries went into poverty. Later on in life, at the age of thirteen, I learned about some of the things that Serbia and the neighboring countries were doing for protecting their citizens; the one thing that struck me and I felt terrified were that there were helicopters patrolling the skies of Serbia and Bosnia. This really scared me because if I were living in one of those countries, I’d be being spied on as well as the loud noise bothering me.

The second country I had to live in from the ages of eight to 12 was France. The country was very modern, much like the United States. Things were going well for me and the French treated me with kind and respect. When I turned ten, September 11th, 2001 struck. I did not know what had happened until five days after it happened, when I was invited by the French community for a special mass at our nearby church. I could then remember crying while the mass was going on. September 11th created danger and anger between the United States and the Middle East.

A third time I’ll explain is four months before I was leaving France: the war in Iraq. The French and Americans were good allies with each other, but when the war began, I remember my parents forbidding me from going places where I normally went and also French people asking me if I supported the war, since I was an American. This showed the French were very angry at the Americans and I , as an eleven-in-a-half year old, was very shocked to see this happening.

These examples I explained here are from my own experiences and I now know that the result of a war is a huge consequence to countries, since they lose friendship with each other and become enemies. That is why I believe all countries of the world should live in peace.