All Love is True Love

Katherine - Gainesville, Florida
Themes: love

So many people these days toss around the loose meaning of true love. “True love starts at marriage or when a couple begins to date,” so my friends tell me. But at what point in time does an everyday high school crush become love that’s really true? At what moment in time does affection and emotion cross the shaky line between love’s truth and falsehood? But all love is true love, romantic love and family bonds are all true.

There is no such thing as a false love, because it is only a love and desire to please yourself. If it is not true love, it is not love at all. Love, any love, friendships, families and romantic relationships are always between two people. If it is only one person who truly loves someone in such a relationship, it is lust, not self centered love or untrue “false” love.

What people don’t realize is that there is no real way to depict true love as anything different than any love. What people define as “Puppy love” can be a strong love that lasts through a person’s entire life. But it doesn’t always matter whether it lasts a week or a lifetime, love is defined as a feeling of passion shared with another person. That’s exactly what it is, an emotion, a feeling, it is defined by what people feel and express and experience through it’s strength, not how long it lasts, though if love is strong enough, it is important enough to two people to keep it alive and let it grow over time.

My sister and brother-in-law had the truest love anyone could know, so everybody, my mother, brother aunt and father said. And it was true, but they got a divorce. Many people will argue that true love lasts forever, but then why did my sister and brother-in-law’s love lead to divorce? Because love does not just stay alive without work. True love can end too, and marriage is not a guarantee that love will last for forever. Love that is maintained and worked on to be kept alive is not any truer than my sister and brother-in-law’s love, what people now describe as a “false love in disguise”. It wasn’t.

Love can differ in how strong or weak a feeling it brings. Some of the strongest love can be shared by high school students, middle schoolers, people whose love is brushed off as infatuation, untrue, self centered and only an act to be in “the in crowd” but the truth is, it’s not. The butterflies in your stomach before you see a special person is 100% physical proof that all love, crushes and infatuations are true and complete love.