I Believe in Second Chances

Cody - Mt. Sidney, Virginia

I believe in second chances. The world is filled of many people making mistakes every day. People who do something without even realizing they are going to regret it almost the moment they are finished. In my lifetime, I have made mistakes and been given a second chance numerous times. Last year, I was involved with a problem at school. I wasn’t directly involved but I was at the place when the accident occurred and got in trouble for that. My reputation before this event had been a great guy who worked hard and made good decisions. In the immediate future after the suspension, my reputation took a huge downgrade. I was looked upon completely different and thought of as a troublemaker. Mr. Landes refused to let this get me down though. When I came back from my suspension, he treated me the exact same way he had before and I felt as if none of it had even happened. I soon became involved with young life and other church activities. I surrounded myself with good people and soon earned a reputation that was even better than before.

My junior year, I tried out for the varsity basketball team. I went through about four days of practices and try outs before the coach told me he wanted to talk to me on the day of cuts. I thought for sure that I was not going to make the team. I moped around the entire day with the thought of being cut in my head. My head soon filled with negative thoughts and I tried to make myself not get upset about it. When the time rolled around for coach to talk to me, I went with negativity swirling through my head. What came to a surprise to me was that the coach told me I had made the team. He said I had made the team but due to depth at my position, I would probably not play much the upcoming year. I went home and thought about what the coach told me before the practice that evening at 5:30. I made a bad decision and decided to not play that season. As the season went through, it felt weird being a spectator to every game. I discovered that I loved the game of basketball way too much to be just a fan. I made up my mind that I wanted to try out again this year. I didn’t think I would make the team, but I was surprised once again. The coach was willing to forgive me and give me another opportunity to play on the varsity basketball team.

Throughout my life, I have some mistakes that could have affected the rest of my life. They did not though because people were willing to give me a second chance and prove myself to be a better person. I appreciate that very much and it means a lot to me. This is why I believe in another opportunity. Everyone deserves a second chance.