Cheese Me.

Danielle - Rohnert Park, California

Some people believe life is like a box of chocolates. Others believe life is like a beautiful melody. I believe life is like string cheese.

As goes with string cheese, in order to enjoy life as a whole, I’ve learned that first I must enjoy each moment that makes up my past, present, and future life. It is not life itself that is fulfilling. Each instance of happiness, pain, sorrow, and contentment are what make life so worthwhile.

String cheese follows these same guidelines. As a snack, it tastes absolutely awful when eaten improperly; that is, in a couple of huge bites. It is crucial to my flavor experience that when I eat string cheese, I peel away each little string to eat, one at a time. Each of these little strings correspond with moments in life:

1. The admirable ribbon of cheese. Peeled with consistent thickness and shape, it is a smooth strand and makes for delicious taste. These are the moments of happiness in life that I fondly remember for being little glimpses of perfection.

2. The chunk. A very overwhelming peel, typically caused by an overzealous hand. The chunk is not tasty on its own. It must be dissected strand by strand when eaten, for proper taste. The chunks are the periods of time commonly referred to as “biting off more than you can chew.” This is when overextension and major stress are present in my life, until I focus on tackling one issue at a time.

3. The split strand. When a complete peel is attempted but fails. It is often misleading because at first, the string looks like an admirable ribbon, but all hopes are shattered when it breaks mid-string. These are times of unexpected disasters, broken hearts, and other catastrophes. They are never intended and are difficult to me to catch through forethought or planning.

Over the years, I have indeed come to know life is most definitely like string cheese. I never know which type of peel will occur, until it happens. I take the good peels, and the bad, and cherish and learn from them. I try not to take a single instance for granted, because I’ve found that doing so leaves a bad taste in my mouth. When life hands me cheese, I string it.