Life is a Daring Adventure

Barrett - santa Rosa, California
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that life is either a daring adventure or nothing.

People spend so long being afraid of the unknown, and tend to stay with what is comfortable and safe, but is that really taking advantage of all that life has to offer? I have constantly wondered why there are so few who do take risks and live to their fullest potential: my friend Erica who spontaneously decided that she would buy a one way ticket to Asia, and spend 3 months there, or a man I met by the name of Rick who hitch-hikes around the world, and these two people, out of the hundreds that I know, have the most interesting and inspiring lives. I have always said that the worst consequence is death, and death honestly can come at anytime, even if you are one of t he most cautious, or most extreme people you may know. That is just nature. So what I believe is, life has so much to offer, and can’t be spent on the safe side for that is no way to live.

For me, I have no idea what is on the other side. I’m not a religious person, but also believe that there is a higher power. Not necessarily in the manifestation of God, but a force greater than ourselves. I feel this power in the ocean; the waves greater than myself, challenging me with there awesome power to reach a reward greater than any possession, the ultimate feeling of being alive, up on my board and riding the wave, being one with that awesome power. What many people don’t realize is that this power is all around us. I look at this safe place we live. The crime rate is low, a person can go to high school and then college right next door, then get a job and raise a family all in the same town. I always felt a calling beyond this town, and with one twenty-minute drive I found my calling at the beach that serves as a perfect escape from the comfort of Sonoma County. There I can surf, skim board, and have the waves wash away all stress and feelings of being stuck. It took me while to realize but the beach was only a taste of what life had to offer, and as I drove further more of the world opened up to me.

=0 A

I was always afraid to drive far, like a dog straying away from its owner. If it goes too far, it might loose forever the comfort of a guaranteed meal and warm place to sleep, but my urge won over uncertainty. In the winter I traveled to Lake Tahoe and found the time of my life on the slopes. For the first time I drove up myself, and even though I had been there many times before, behind the wheel, and no one to relay on but myself, everything seemed new and exciting. I spent the day exploring the mountains, hitting up the slopes, and be the end of the day I had a new hunger for the undiscovered thrills of life. I wanted more.

Two weeks ago I decided that I needed to take my thrill seeking up a notch and actually bring death into the picture, so I signed up to go skydiving. One hundred dollars, 13000 feet, 60 seconds of free fall, and the world literally beneath you, I’m ready. This Sunday is when I take the plunge, and I am excited to explore this new side of life. I have to admit that I am a bit nervous, but I expect to do it many times again. My personal philosophy is that I have no idea what the next life holds, or even is, and that’s why this one must be lived to the fullest . So next time you feel that urge to do something exciting, out there, and overall different, do it, because life has so much to offer and on the reward is absolutely greater than the risk. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing, so get out there and have fun!