The Invisible Someone

Kayla - Fort Collins, Colorado

When I was seventeen, my grandfather died. He got sick, and three weeks later, he was gone. I will never forget saying goodbye to him, not only because I was saying goodbye to my grandpa, who I loved, but because his death taught me more than I could have ever thought possible.

My grandfather was not a religious man, and he wasn’t the kind to trick people or play jokes either. He was probably one of the most serious, and most intelligent, and genuine people I have, or will ever meet.

While he was in the hospital, one of my aunts or uncles was with him 24/7. The Thursday night before he died, I went with my mom to sit with him for a little while. One of my aunts was there was well, and though I’ve never told her this, her patients and unwavering spirituality was the reason I was able to learn my lesson.

We were all sitting quietly, watching him sleep, when he suddenly woke up, and stared straight ahead at the end of his bed.

“There’s someone here,” he said.

I froze for a moment, confused. After a second both my mom and I were ready to jump in with “no there’s not”. But my aunt spoke first,

“Who, Dad?”

He was quiet for a minute and then said,

“They’re coming to take me with them.” And after another pause, he said, “have your mother her by eight o’clock on Sunday”. After that he closed his eyes and fell back asleep. He passed away two minutes after eight on Sunday morning.

This story makes me emotional every time I think about it because I miss my grandpa, and he because he changed my life. I don’t know for sure if an invisible someone really visited my grandpa that night, but I do know that he waited to leave until Sunday so that he could say goodbye to everyone that he loved. The control that he seemed to have over the situation scared me. But it also made me believe in something that I didn’t before: love. You can’t see it or hold it, but it has to power to move and change you like nothing else.

After a lot of reflection on the life my grandfather led and what happened that night, I decided that I should place more value on the love that I have in my life, instead of always questioning it and wanting more. Every decision I make and every thought that I have should be an action of love. My grandpa’s death shook my belief system, changing it to be more powerful. I don’t think that experiences like the one I had happen very often, I feel blessed to have experienced it.