I Believe In Family

Michelle - Berlin, Connecticut

I believe in family. My family has made me who I am today. When I was younger, I was very shy and quiet. My parents tried to get me to open up and would constantly ask my teachers if I eventually would become more outgoing. My teachers told them that I would open up at my own time, when I was ready. They would always make me do things on my own, forcing me to talk to people that I didn’t know and associate. I remember my third grade teacher constantly yelling at me to “talk to the trees” that were located a few hundred feet away from our classroom window. As time went on, I began to grow out of my shyness, a little by little. My brother was a big influence on me to become more open. He is a friendly person and is very outgoing. He is not afraid to share his views or beliefs with other people and is constantly talking. The bad thing about having an older brother who was outgoing and confident, was having to follow in his footsteps, but not being a thing like him. All of my brother’s teachers in school loved him because he was not afraid to share his opinions. They all figured that I would be just like him. But the first day of school, seeing me in their classroom, they realized that my brother and I were very different. Today, I have opened up a lot and am not afraid to talk in the classroom anymore (unless I don’t know what I am talking about or if I have to give a speech). I still will not just walk up to people and start a conversation with them, like my mom does and because of this my mom is always telling me that I have to work on my people skills. Me and my brother have realized that we are a lot more alike than we ever would have imagined. We both like the same subjects in school, which are sciences and mathematics, but don’t really enjoy writing and history.

My family has been a huge influence on me and has made me who I am today. If it wasn’t for my family I would still be that shy little girl who sits in the classroom and doesn’t say anything. I am thankful for everything that my family has done for me.