This I Believe of Education

Ingrid - Canton, North Carolina

I believe that education is about connections. I sum up my philosophy of education into this single idea as I am at the jumping off point of beginning a career in teaching English. So I ask myself, “What has education given to me and what do I want to give to my students?” I believe that by engaging in education we can find ways to connect with ourselves, others, our community, our world –and sheer possibility. As a most basic aspect of our human nature, we desire ways to connect our individual experience with common and universal reality. My own success in education relies intensely on being courageous enough to commit to my interests and talents to overcome isolation from society, economics, and myself. I believe that in earning my first college degree, the universe conspired to push me further and expected more. I had to continue in education to teach.

I believe that teaching is a noble profession based in selfless, honest, and ethical ways of promoting the potential of others to connect with the world. Through education, we can realize integral interests of who we are and what are the best examples of what we can contribute. I believe that the history of teaching reflects an enduring commitment to helping others connect with the skills, knowledge, and opportunities they need to survive and do more. And, I believe that encouragement, engagement, and inspiration are the best modes for teaching.

I believe that education grounded in the Liberal Arts is the best overall approach for guiding curriculum topics. Inquiry of history, music, philosophy, literature, and art about how specific subjects have developed and changed us over time requires students to connect with higher order cognitive skills; thus challenging their achievement further. Learning about where we’ve been, the variety of voices compelling us along the way, and the expressions of our feelings in getting here expand our experience to connect with more. I believe that we should expect higher levels of thinking from our students that relate critical connections of self-to-text, text-to-text, and text-to-world ideas. And I believe that the best tools for learning still include crayons, #2 pencils, rulers, and poetry.

I believe that America is remains as the land of opportunity, and that our educational system is the best in the world for promoting opportunities to connect individual interest with success. I believe that as September ushers us into Fall, and the weather begins to cool us into a comfortable routine of tradition in returning to school, the rustling wind blows in memories from our childhood of excited hope about who are teacher will be, what we will be like as a year older, and what we will do. I believe in connecting with my students by remembering those experiences every day that I teach.