Morality Check

Jerry - Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Themes: morality

I would like to first state my high hopes that my hypocrisy about this topic does not affect the validity or credibility of the following statements. The self-inclusion in this may also be why I believe in this topic so much.

The general moral status of humankind is plummeting to abysmal depths. Our society is no longer about what is right and just. However, what is convenient and simple has become the general lifestyle. The average teenager has changed from that of 100 years ago. This change, unfortunately, is a very grim change. The sad thing is, it isn’t just the teenage age group that this is occurring with, but the older generation as well. I passionately believe in the moral cleansing of the generations to come by whatever means necessary.

If you were to ask any average person today what they would do if they got in trouble for something, what do you think the answer would be? What would your answer be? I have come to realize that most average people no longer want to accept responsibility for their wrongdoings. They tend to either deny the event altogether or try to pass the blame on to another person. People even go so far on occasion as to manipulate the people around them to get away with something people should not get away with doing. I believe people need to be held accountable for their actions and justly punished for them depending on the severity of the wrongdoing.

In this country, it is claimed that everybody is equal. However, upon closer inspection, this is not the case. One major example of the existing inequalities is between men and women in the work place. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, women who work 41 to 44 hours a week earn 84.6% of what men would earn for the same amount of work at the same job. Also, women who work 60 or more hours only earn 78.3% of what men would earn. Granted, there are some jobs where one gender is more apt than another and therefore should be paid more, but consider these numbers a national average. What if the two percentages are not just for one job, but all? My point of all this is, if everybody is equal, why do we not show it in every way possible? Equality needs to be more than a word; it needs to be a precedent.

Deep down, those among the people that can identify with this know that there is much more to this epidemic. It is not just gender inequality and denial of any wrongdoing. When the world hands itself over to the next generation, what kind of generation will be in charge at the rate this decline is continuing? Are lying bigots what you would want running the world and making the decisions that matter? Change must occur soon. This I believe.