I believe that our imaginations are the stepping stones to reality

Kate - san Diego, California

I believe that our imaginations are the stepping-stones to reality. When people say Disney lies and deceives the minds of children, I absolutely shudder and cringe. How can anyone say that? At the age of five my role model was the Little Mermaid, I wanted to be Ariel from the Little Mermaid, and I had little mermaid toys and all the other princess accessories that parents tend to buy for their cute little angels. I still love Little Mermaid and I would love to be her. She has been my idol. I’ve met people who roll their eyes and say all that stuff is stupid and how can pretending to be a mermaid help someone in real life? But I don’t care, I will not pretend and say that Disney ruined my life and taught me a bunch of stuff that cannot happen. Anything is possible. If I want to be a mermaid, let me be a mermaid. Sure I may not sprout a tail if my feet touch water, but hey, I can dream.

I always imagined being a witch after I read Harry Potter; in fact I think everyone did. I’m still obsessed with the idea of drinking pumpkin juice and receiving my letter by owl to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I imagined that I would have to defeat Voldemort with the killing curse, and that I was Ginny Weasley because then Harry Potter would love me. I am still in love with him. I truly believe that he is the best fantastical fiction hero ever to be created. J.K. Rowling literally saved my life by writing that series. She made me realize that I could do anything that I set my mind to and that I could be anything that I wanted to be and I still want to be a witch. Then of course the Harry Potter books were finished because the series was over and I was one of the billions of fans who felt as though there was a hole in my heart because Harry Potter had reached its end.

I then found the Twilight series and all of a sudden I did not want to be a witch, because who wants to be a witch when you can be a vampire. I wanted to find that ever-lasting love that Bella and Edward had and I still tell my friends that yes I don’t have a boyfriend but that’s because I’m waiting for my Edward. I remember my friend saying, “Kate, Edward is not real.” Well maybe the fictional character isn’t but I know that my Edward is out there. Sure he may not look like a molded god, be a vampire, or even completely perfect but I know that he is out there and that we are destined to meet. I can’t stop imagining what it will be like to finally lay my eyes on him. I believe that when we imagine it is as though we are creating possibilities and the belief that we are all meant to be something unique and different. We are all meant to have hopes and dreams. To trust ourselves, to learn to love, and to make change. Well maybe that trust, love, and change is magic. Now days we all look for the scientific concepts and concrete facts so we can prove everything. What if we just imagined and believed that everything in our lives was meant to happen for a purpose? What if I was meant to believe that I could be a mermaid, witch, or vampire? I know I was meant to believe that I could create love, courage, and make a difference in the world. My imagination helped me find that reality. Without it I wouldn’t have a clue.