Risk

Kenzie - Fayetteville, New York

Life is boring with no risk. If people didn’t take risks what would the world be like? Very few things and many new ideas wouldn’t be accomplished. I live by this motto from August 18th to November 5th; my diving season. Everyday I risk a lot such as slipping off the board, hitting the board, being humiliated, getting a staph infection or smacking after a really hard dive. It takes a lot of courage and confidence to risk something you care about, in my case my body and my sanity. I’ve lived through being out dove my sister and other competitors repetitively. But on the other hand I also have lived through beating my personal best and other divers. Sure it’s a team sport but when you’re up on the board you realize that you’re definitely alone. You would be surprised how easy it is to mess up on a required dive. When you go up to do a dive that you’re completely confident in the smack comes as a huge surprise.

Although most spectators love a good smack its not quiet as fun as it sounds. If you listen carefully while you’re flipping through the air and you hear a gasp you know your either way to close to the board or you’re about land on the water horizontally instead of the preferred vertical. A really great smack gets a round of applause and some pretty impressive welts. But that’s how you learn; when you smack you know that you’re that much closer to a dive that has not quite conquered you and obviously you haven’t conquered it either. Sure smacking is a huge part of diving but I have been diving since seventh grade and it hasn’t stopped me yet. I’ve risked a lot for diving and it has made my life all the better.