The dark one

Marlena - Pleasant Grove, Utah

Throughout my life, I’ve been faced with many trials and tribulation; but who hasn’t. My parents divorced when I was nine. My father as well as three (of four) of my brothers left the church at age ten. I had started having seizures that same year and was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I have been jumbled back in forth with custody with my parents, and am now living with the stakes president’s family in Washington while my family resides in Utah (who wants to move their senior year). But the thing is none of this really matters. What matters is how I decide to rise above this and apply myself in this day and age.

I, an African American, have always felt a need to prove myself; to show others that I had just as much potential as any other. My mother hadn’t gone to college and was raised in the intercity. So once my parents divorced, she decided to go to college to provide a means to support the family. Thus my mother applied to UVSC, where she received a 4.0, got her bachelors in behavior science, transferred to BYU and received her masters in social work. I was ever so impressed. So much so, that I wanted a chance to follow in her foot steps. My mother was the first women on my mother side to, not only receive her Masters, but to actually go to college. The second in line was my grandmother, who received her high school diploma at age forty.

I know what I want to accomplish in life, and I know how to get there. Others may question, “Will I apply myself?” or, “Will I give up?” My answer is a resounding, “No, I will not. I refuse.”