Aspects of Carpe Diem

Daniel - Chattanooga, Tennessee
Themes: carpe diem

This I believe

I believe we should try our best to seize each day. There is an old American quote saying, “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift; that is why it is called the Present.” There is also a famous Latin quote, ‘Carpe diem’, which basically means seize the day. People around the world try their best to spend each day contently within their own special beliefs. However, it is hard for people to enjoy their everyday lives because of several other factors that affect their lives such as work and family affairs. I am trying hard to enjoy my everyday life too.

Actually, it is not that hard to enjoy your daily life. It doesn’t have to be special nor on a big scale. You can always find happiness in your regular life. What you have to do is just look around. There are families, pets, friends, school life, work, and a lot of others. It depends on your point of view. When I was in third grade in the elementary school, my family had a little bunny. That was the first time in my life that I had a pet. The cute, pure-white bunny interested me a lot at that time. When I finished school and came back home, I always used to stop by in front of her cage and watch at her eating, sleeping, and playing. The little enjoyment that I got from my bunny helped me to enjoy my days.

In the movie ‘A Dead Poets Society’, there are a group of high school students who enjoy reading poems by several poets. Even though it was declared illegal by the school authority, students really enjoyed reading, feeling, and thinking about poems. Just like students in this movie, being a fan or having a mania for something also can help you seize your day and make your life more enjoyable. I was once a big fan of baseball. I was deeply impressed by baseball’s numerous situations; its suspense-filled game from first to last innings, and the similar characteristics of baseball which are often compared to the life of a human being. I became a big fan of the baseball team from my hometown and watched almost all of the games that I could watch. Having an opportunity to do something that I really want, spend everyday with baseball games was fascinating.

Overall, it’s not that hard to enjoy and seize the day and even your whole life. It won’t be that big, but effective enjoyment will enhance your life and make you feel better, relaxed, and pleased. Haven’t you ever felt trapped in overflowing stress and hard works and forgotten about the little happiness that helps you seize the day? Then just look around!