This i Believe

Jordan - Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Weird. Definition? An extraordinarily strange person. But what does this truly, truly mean? Would you say somebody with a limp is weird? What if they got their limp by serving in the army? How can you classify someone as weird without knowing the whole story? Well I’m tired of it. I believe the word weird is meaningless.

I always called people weird in like, 1st or 2nd grade. I don’t know why but I did. I didn’t really know what it meant either, but it was my favorite word. Especially when talking about a girl in my class. She never really liked me because of this and I don’t think I liked her either. Probably because I didn’t get to know her. Later I quit the addicting word and gave people a chance. In third grade I became good friends with the girl and now we’re inseparable. Things were good, but now I’m hearing the word again.

Last year there was a girl in my class who has major disability which gave her troubles walking. Since I worked in the counseling office I saw her very often. When there were young visitors in the office they would call her weird and make fun of her. When I asked them what they thought and why I couldn’t get a straight answer out of anyone. This really bothered me. I couldn’t believe that this girl was getting stereotyped as weird because of her disability.

Once I realized what was going on around me I started hearing weird a lot more. My friends said it, my teachers said it, and even my own family said it. I was getting really confused and by then I had pretty much forgotten my whole 1st grade experience. So I started the addiction back up, but this time just to fit in. I still have no idea what it means, so to find out I asked my friends who they thought was weird and why. They easily told me who naming off a variety of different cliques, but they could never tell me why. In fact the most common answer was “common, look at them”. This frustrated me. Why can nobody tell me what weird is?

No that I’m older I realize no one could cause no one knew. They all did as I did and said it to fit in. Nobody truly knows what weird means. It is just a word people say when they are insecure about them selves. That is the new definition. This I believe.