Proud of my single star

David - antcioch, Tennessee
Themes: place, race

My flag.

My single star.

Proud Of My Single Star

I believe that Puerto Rico is the country with the greatest culture in the world. Well that’s the opinion millions of other Puerto Ricans share. To me, being born a Puerto Rican means to live life full with pride, honor, and of course with great food. There are thousands of reason why I could tell you why being Puerto Rican is single handedly the greatest thing in the world. But what I really think sets us apart from all the cultures is our love to show that we are proud.

We represent Puerto Rico so much you would think its some type of brand. It’s in our cars, our clothing, even permanently drawn on our skin. The flag is more then just a symbol to show where we are from. It shows our independence from United States with its single star by not being part of the fifty in the American flag. Yes we are a common wealth and by us being a common wealth it makes us legal Americans. We are Latino’s born American. Easily we are the envy of every other Hispanic speaking countries. So by that we are very proud and feel lucky to have all the rights Americans do.

We celebrate our Puerto Rican heritage everyday of our life, but there are some events that truly show our proud culture. The Puerto Rican day parade held in New York City. It’s a parade held yearly on the second Sunday in June. The reason for the parade is to honor nearly four million Puerto Rican on the island itself as well as the ones in the United States who celebrate the Puerto Rican heritage. The parade attracts more then 2 million spectators and about eighty thousand who actually participate in the parade. Other parades are held in many other states but the main one is in New York. Even though I have yet to be a part of the parade I plan on going real soon.

Something that never fails to put a smile on my face is when I first meet another Puerto Rican. We always share so many things in common. We could be born hundreds of miles away from each other, but the culture is so strong that is almost identical in the way we are raised. From the food we eat, to the way our grandmother opens a classical beating on our behinds when we don’t eat it all. It is still almost identical.

I cant express to you enough the love I have for my people. We are so abundant stretching out all over America. I truly feel like I can’t go anywhere in the United States with out seeing my flag hanging down in somebody’s rear view mirror. I consider every body with Puerto Rican decent my family. I have more then five million cousins, brothers, sisters, fathers, and grandmothers all over the world. My culture in my eyes is all so powerful, so full of energy and rich with pride. That is why I believe being Puerto Rican is the greatest thing in the world.