This I believe About Our Government

Rebecca - Baltimore, Maryland

I believe that one doesn’t truly know what they believe about government until they have experienced enough in the real world to make judgments.

I am barley 15 years old and I believe I have not experienced enough in our nation to make judgments. I may think I believe something, but quickly change that belief because of an experience or based on people around me. A true belief isn’t one influenced by others, but one that you feel so confident about that it cannot be changed easily. I have no true beliefs.

There are many different views and beliefs about our government. Some say it is perfect, others say it is corrupt. Our government, in theory, is perfect, but put together with many other factors is doesn’t work as well as it was planned to work. We have many issues and problems we have yet to find a fix for and some we never will. The most important part of our government is that the people stay involved and stay happy. The ability of our people to be part of their own government is rare in today’s world and should be taken advantage of whenever possible. I believe that when I am of age to participate in our government I can make an accurate judgment and define my belief of it.

Another reason I feel I am too young and inexperienced to make such a belief statement about government is that I have noticed how my beliefs have change this year alone. In our government class, we read different court cases and often decided our opinions on them. I noticed that I had a hard time deciding on a side because my peers each made good points defending their opinions on both sides. This doesn’t mean young people, like me, cannot have their own opinions, but it means that it will most likely change and it is definitely not set in stone.

My belief is like the saying, “don’t judge a book by its cover.” It is similar in the way that you should not judge the government and establish an opinion until you are educated about the government and all it does. I have learned this year in government that there are many agencies and groups of people who work for the government and accomplish tasks that the average citizen isn’t aware, for example many of the federal agencies like the Federal Aviation Association and the Federal Communications Commission. I did not know what they were until studying them this year.

I am sure there are many aspects that I have yet to learn about of our government. I plan to learn what I can about our government before establishing a true belief and opinion about our government. I think that when having an opinion, it is important that you can support it with knowledge and facts. A true belief isn’t one influenced by others, but one that you feel so confident about that it cannot be changed easily.