A second chance

Lauren - Fort Worth, Texas

My name is Lauren Taylor, and I believe in second chances. Growing up I didn’t have the best relationship with my father. There were quite a few bumps in the road, and it caused our father/daughter relationship to be quite distant and not very in-depth. I thought that I loved my father; I just didn’t love him enough. But on February 7, 2007 in my freshman year of college, everything changed. Within a 24 hour period, my father was hospitalized after his digestive system failed, and was diagnosed with two completely unrelated malignant tumors in his colon. On the 8th of February he was scheduled for emergency surgery. My mother, older brother and I had to walk into the surgery prep room and say our goodbyes because the likelihood of my father coming out of surgery alive was not very high. I cannot explain the amount of emotion that went into that five minute period. Flashbacks of the past and how unimportant it seemed to be in that moment flooded my mind. I was sick at the thought of not having my father see me graduate from college or be able to walk me down the aisle on my wedding day. I couldn’t even come up with the words to explain to him how much I did love him and how sorry I was for everything. All I could manage to say was “I love you forever, Daddy.” Thankfully after 6 hours of surgery, he did come out fighting. He then spent 8 months enduring chemo therapy, but is now cancer free. This incredibly hard series of months was the best thing that ever happened to my family. Not only did my mother and father have a second chance of falling in love, but we all were blessed at a second chance of being a family. I believe that nothing is too far gone to be changed, and I will now forever cherish that I have a second chance of being my daddy’s little girl.