I believe in forgivness through an higher power

Sally - Wheat Ridge, Colorado

I did not grow up in a religious home and did not think about God much, but it was through his will that I would see my father and develop a relationship with him.

I never really knew my father or anything about him. In the summer of 1970 shortly after my seventh birthday, I remembered a man driving up in a truck at our home in Atlanta, Texas. I had no idea who he was until someone had told me, I was extremely shy back then, so my brother and I had hid behind the house watching him. I would not see him again until right after my sixteenth birthday in the summer of 1979. My mom had sent my brother and me to live with him in Uhrichsville, Ohio.

When we reached the Ohio Airport when our father had came up to my brother and me, hugged us, and said he loved us. It felt awkward, as he was a total stranger to us. He had since remarried and he had a stepson. They lived out in the country and he boarded and raced horses. I remember having to go out to the barn and put the horses on the walker and then taking them back to their stall after I had cleaned them. I had never been around horses and they terrified me. He didn‘t seem to care and said he did not need a wallflower living there, if I could not do the work I had to leave with just the clothes on my back. I had made my way to town and someone had told me about a vacant trailer home where I could stay. While walking around town a group of girls started trouble with me and I was picked up by the police and the police chief had my step mom come pick me up at the police station. The next day after morning chores my father informed me that if he had been the one to answer the phone he would have told the police they could have kept me, that he didn’t want me there. I stayed there for about two weeks, my sister who was living in Cleveland came and got me, and we both ended up moving back to Colorado Springs, Co where I had been living since 1973.

I had moved to Perry, Oklahoma in September of 2000. I was working at the hospital there and one night I saw that we had a new patient admitted whose name should show up but Donald Cooper, which was my father’s name. I got to thinking about him and realized I was not angry any more. I could not help but think about him and the fact I did not really know him. I had asked a psychic if my dad was still alive and if he had any regret not having his kids apart of his life, and she had said that he was alive and was a lot closer then I thought. I asked my mom about him and then had my friend Karen asks around and sure enough, he was living there in Perry a few miles from me. It was hard to go over to see him since we had parted on bad terms. I finally got the nerve to go see him and he did not recognize me ,but once I told him who I was he was happy to see me and we got to visit with each other over a couple of months. He and his wife, Maxine had decided to move to Alabama and a few months later, I would move back to Colorado in February of 2007.

I am glad I had the chance to see my father and get to know him. God had known how important it was to me and through him, I had been given the opportunity to see my dad and only through God, could this have happened, for this I truly believe.