Listening is the Best Way to Help Someone

Gabriela - Muncie, Indiana

I believe in helping people. My mother always told me that it was important to give back and always use the gifts that I had to help someone else out if they were in need. I am the oldest child in our small traditional family of four. My brother, Andre who is two years younger than I am is my best friend and we have always been close and able to tell each other anything. Caring for him so much, I wanted to help him in everything that he did. Whether it was helping him write his ABC’s in perfect print, or making him read to me so that he could be good at reading, I made sure that he had my help. Of course, because I, being his big sister and naturally bossy, I always wanted to show him the right way to do things, even if he didn’t really need my help. Constantly my mother would tell me to let him find his own way to do things. She told me that I can help him when he asks me for help, otherwise I was just being bossy and that people do not like to be bossed around. I didn’t understand this statement when I was younger because I thought everyone needed my help. In no way did I ever see my help as being “bossy”. The summer before my freshman year of high school, my church went on a mission trip to Yakama, Washington. I had never been on a mission trip before but decided to go because I enjoyed being with my youth group and at that time enjoyed being away from my parents. The trip was not what I expected at all. I learned how to truly help someone. I now know that to help someone is not to tell them how to do things, but to just listen and understand where they are coming from. Listening to children of all ages who never really had someone to talk to, on the trip I was often told, “thank you for listening to me”. This really helped me to understand how to help someone in need. I understand now that it is important just for me to be there for my brother and listen to him, that’s all anyone really needs. I am still bossy in some areas, but I know now that by just listening, I am helping.