I can make a difference in someone’s life

Laura - Richmond, Kentucky

I’ve seen the effects of hurricane Katrina on families in New Orleans, the impoverished of Appalachia, children with AIDS in Ethiopia and above all, the beauty that can be made from helping victims out. I believe I can make a difference in someone’s life.

The movie Hotel Rwanda is about the genocides in the country of Rwanda in 1994. The movie states “If people see this footage, they will go ‘Oh, God! That’s horrible,’ and then go back to eating their dinner.” I decided a few years ago that I didn’t want to be one of those people who just sits back and lets tragic things happen to innocent people without thinking about what I could do to help and actually getting out there and making a difference. There are so many simple volunteer opportunities available throughout the world, to impact someone’s life.

Just $7 can feed a family of 4 in Ethiopia for an entire month. To think that I spend that much on a couple of mochas a week blows my mind at what a difference I could make just by giving $7 to feed a family for a month. A week out of my life to go to New Orleans and help rebuild homes, doesn’t take much from me, but gives so much to those that I am helping. And to visit with the impoverished in Appalachia, is an eye-opening experience. Just by doing these simple things can make a huge impact on the lives of so many people.

I know that I can’t control where a hurricane hits, or provide food and shelter for the impoverished in Appalachia, or even supply medical care for those precious children I met in Africa, but I can start by telling people about my experiences, what I saw, felt, and learned through these people. I can do simple things, like giving $7 a month to a family in Ethiopia, brainstorming solutions for the many problems in Appalachia, or gutting walls and hammering nails to rebuild homes in New Orleans.

After all, I believe that we were all created by the same God, who created us equally to help one another out in times of struggle, famine and disease. Life is short, and I plan to make the best of it. So I for one am putting myself out there to help other people out that are less fortunate than me, to make a difference in someone’s life.