The Beauty of Simplicity.

K - Portland, Oregon
Themes: place

The beauty of simplicity.

Have you ever been captivated by an image? Whether it be a picture, or a real life image, these captivating images are incredible. They are the ones that when you see them, you have to stop and admire. Christmas time is an amazing time of year. There are captivating images everywhere during the holiday season. I believe this is because for one time in our lives, its not about us. The beauty of giving is what keeps my faith in human kind.

I live in the city, and as in most cities, the town gets together and decorates the city center where everything happens during the holidays. They put wreaths up on all the street lights, they put up a tree in the center of the town near the courthouse, and where I’m from, they also decorate each tree downtown with Christmas lights. Each tree, without fail, will have lights on them every year. I live in Portland Oregon, can you imagine how many trees are in our city center?! Oregon is known for there trees. Haha! But anyway, this is another act of unselfish giving, because we know, rather, we’ve come to expect, that the city center will be decorated.

I live, and work, downtown so I walk to work everyday. It only takes me 10 minutes so I think its worth it. As well, the public transportation doesn’t really go where I need it to anyway so I’d be walking anyway. But as I was walking home the other night, something caught my eye. I was literally in the middle of the crosswalk when I had to stop because I had just noticed how incredibly beautiful the city center had been decorated. It had me mesmerized. It was one of those rare moments when it seems the whole world slows down around you, and its just you, and the perfection of simplicity. There was absolutely nothing spectacular about what I was seeing as I was stopped in the middle of the crosswalk. I was just that, captivated by this image that has been looked over by the majority of the city.

I have been told my whole life that I am beautiful,, but honestly, what are you comparing my beauty to? Because to me, simplicity is the most beautiful, and we as humans are extraordinary complex. So here, I believe in the beauty of simplicity. I believe in being lost in an image so far that the only thing that brings you out are the cars honking because the light has turned green for them. True beauty is all around us, in everyday life. You just have to simplify your mind enough to appreciate it.

Yes, yes, this I believe.